Thursday 1 November 2007

Booking Through Thursday, Oh Horror!

What with yesterday being Halloween, and all . . . do you read horror? Stories of things that go bump in the night and keep you from sleeping?

I thought about asking you whether you were participating in NaNoWriMo, but I asked that last year. Although . . . if you want to answer that one, too, please feel free to go ahead and do both, or either, your choice!

I had to watch Pulp Fiction through my fingers ... and I can't read horror fiction at all because, like almost all the fiction that I read, it lives on in my mind and I can't get away from it. (And, unlike almost all the fiction that I read, I long to get away from it!) Ambrose Bierce's An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge (which you can download as an ebook for free HERE) is the closest I've ever got, and it's not horror in the Pulp Fiction blood-guns-and-guts sense.

And as for writing a 50,000-word novel in a month, the idea gives me as many nightmares as a horror story would if I read one. But if anyone else wants to have a go, go HERE. The National Novel Writing Month (no, I didn't know either ...) begins today.

And so, back to writing a few hundred a words a day ... .

3 comments:

Mei said...

I feel the same way about horror--that it just sticks with me.
And I totally hated An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge. When I had to read it in high school, I had such an awful feeling in my stomach!

Anonymous said...

Although NaNoWriMo gives me the creep, I still signed in!

Literary Feline said...

I'm not a big fan of blood and gore and slasher type horror, but I do love a good psychological thriller type horror novel. And I enjoy dark fantasy type horror novels as well. Horror is such a broad category when you really think about it.